Flowers to brighten up your Friday! The charming teacup in the Vintage Teacup stamp set by Altenew and the Shabby Chic bouquet by Impression Obsession worked together perfectly.
Though the Vintage Teacup stamp set and the Shabby Chic bouquet are from two different stamp suppliers, they seem to be made for one another! All it needs is a little masking.
So, first I stamped only the flower portion of the bouquet onto a piece of watercolor paper with Versamark ink, then sprinkled it with clear embossing powder and heat set. I also stamped the bouquet onto ‘Stick-It’ masking paper with black ink and cut out the flower bouquet portion so I could mask off the flowers to stamp the teacup.
Repeating the same steps as before, but making sure the flower mask I just created was covering the flowers, I stamped the teacup with Versamark ink, sprinkled with clear embossing powder and heat set. Now, a mask for the teacup was created, placed over the teacup and the saucer was stamped with Versamark ink, sprinkled with clear embossing powder and heat set.
Masking the flowers and teacup magically completed the picture of flowers in a teacup as if it was meant to be that way. It is now ready to watercolor.
I like the wet-on-wet method of water coloring. It is where you add clean water to the area you want to paint, then add your color. This method seems to work best for me. The water does most of the work of blending on its own.
To begin, I added clear water to the cup and saucer and started adding blue paint. I adding paint in the darker, shadow areas first, then urged the paint down into the other parts of the teacup.
After the teacup was painted, I started on the flowers using the same wet-on-wet method. Since the flowers were embossed (creating a wall between flowers), it made it easy to keep the colors from the neighboring flowers from blending together.
The background was painted last with a light wash of blue, gray watercolor.
When everything was dry, it was mounted on a blue card base and a frame was cut using the Lawn Fawn Stitched Rectangle Stackables (second to the largest) die and Vanilla Canvas Mono card stock. The inner rectangle was cut out and then the outside edges were trimmed so the frame would be slightly smaller than the card base. It was mounted over the top of the image using foam tape to pop it up a bit.
After all was mounted, I couldn’t resist adding a butterfly. So, I stamped a butterfly onto a scrap piece of watercolor paper, using the Avery Elle Butterflies stamp set and Delicata gold ink. It was then painted with water colors and fussy cut it out. Finally, it was added to the card with a little foam tape.